Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Praying for Haiti

My heart has been heavy today for the people of Haiti. If you've seen the news you know that the small island of Haiti was devastated by a 7.0 earthquake on Tuesday Jan. 12. Reports are saying millions have been affected by this disaster.

Here are some interesting facts I found today about Haiti.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and one of the poorest countries in the world.
- The nation is mostly comprised of small farmers.
- More than half the population lives on less than $1 a day and 78% on less than $2.
- They have a high mortality rate - 60 for every 1,000 births) and the prevalence of HIV among those between ages 15 and 49 is 2.2%.
- Haiti's infrastructure is close to total collapse.
(www.Encyclopedia.com)
I had no idea that Haiti is such a poorly developed and struggling nation.
I saw this on the news tonight. This is the presidential palace before the earthquake...

And this is the palace today! UNBELIEVABLE!!

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/haiti-earthquake-presiden_n_421510.html)

We are so blessed beyond measure! I can't imagine the poverty and devastation these people are facing. I'm praying for this country and the people who live there. I pray for the leadership and government of Haiti as they respond to this disaster. I pray for the protection of the survivors. I pray these people will find order out of chaos. I pray they will rise out of the rubble and ashes.


No comments: