Thursday, January 28, 2010

For Better or Worse

Since officially being a mom for seven months I feel like I somewhat have a good handle on this thing called motherhood. However, I will say there are some things that have been harder than I thought and other things easier. I thought I would make a list of some.
THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN EASIER THAN I THOUGHT:
  • Childbirth itself - I was in ALOT of pain before my epidural but once I got it I felt great and really didn't have any pain when Ryan was born.
  • Sleep deprivation - I've found I can function with little sleep. Even though I don't like not getting enough sleep I can go go go for a long time before I crash and burn.
  • Ryan's sleep. When I was pregnant I prayed about Ryan being a good sleeper. God answered my prayers and he is a great sleeper. Of course I realize this could all change one day but right now he goes down great and sleeps so well!
  • Taking him on road trips. He does great in the car even when we go 500 miles to Memphis.
  • Going out and eating out with a baby! Ryan does well for the most part when we are out. He loves his stroller and enjoys getting out!
  • Annabelle and Gracie adjusting to having a baby around. They have been so good and don't get too jealous of Ryan. They know their place in our family and still get lots of attention.
THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN HARDER THAN I THOUGHT:
  • Breastfeeding - I took the breastfeeding class and knew it would be hard but it was harder than I ever imagined. I wanted to breastfeed so bad but it just didn't work for us. And I'm totally ok with that now!
  • Losing the baby weight - Ughhhh Ok I knew it would be hard but it's harder than I thought it would be. They really mean it when they say 9 months on, 9 months off. I hate that saying by the way, just saying!
  • Ryan's acid reflux - I never thought I would have a baby with reflux. It was really difficult at first but it got so much better once he got on prevacid. He was a much happier and pleasant baby once we figured out what was wrong.
  • Looking half way decent - I am constantly covered in spit up, drool and baby food. Funny it doesn't even phase me now, ha!
  • Dressing Ryan in cute, adorable clothes and keeping him that way for more than 5 minutes before he spits up or drools. Sometimes I don't even get the outfit on before he spits up all over it.
  • Keeping a clean house and cooking dinner - I thought I would have much more time to clean and do stuff around the house. I don't like to cook in the first place but it's so hard to cook and prepare dinner with a baby. I'm gonna be in big trouble when Ryan begins to walk. Thank goodness for the exasaucer and jumperoo! =)
Tonight for the first time Ryan got on all fours!!! He has been pushing up on his arms and he finally pushed back onto his knees! I was just amazed! Matt had just gotten home from work so he was excited to see it too!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I remember thinking (pre Emma) that I would get bored if I stayed all day with my child. I thought there is just so many times you can do laundry and clean your house! Little did I know.....NONE OF THAT HAPPENS! I barely have to time to clean my house much less a house! But you know what???? I would not trade it for the WORLD!
Great post!

Kelly M said...

Yay for Ryan getting on all fours! Oh and thanks for the honest review of motherhood. It's really helpful!

Summer said...

Ryan is such a cutie Summer! Yay for Ryan for getting on all fours!! He will be everywhere before ya know it LOL!

Loved the review on motherhood! The keeping them dressed for more than 5 minutes before they spit up made me laugh cause Kelcee did that all the time! Girl I feel ya on the baby weight....That has been so hard for me too!

Have a good weekend
Summer :0)