Sunday, January 17, 2010

Food and Sippy Cup

This morning we almost over slept for church but thankfully all three of us were all able to get up, and make it out the door running just a tad late. No surprise there, ha! We were happy to welcome our pastor back after some medical issues. He brought a great message today! We then enjoyed a relaxing day and ordered pizza for dinner. My favorite since I love pizza and hate cooking! Its the best of both worlds!

And now I have a few questions for you blogging momma's out there...
1. When did your baby start eating 3 solid meals a day?
Our pediatrician said we could start 2nd stage foods when Ryan turns 7 months old, so today while at the store I got some. Tonight he had carrots and ate the whole container. He loves carrots so I knew he would eat it all. Our doctor also said we could start feeding him a solid meal at lunch. Until now we have been doing solids at breakfast and dinner. When did start the 3rd meal? Do you do a fruit or veggie for lunch?

2. When did your baby start using a sippy cup and what process did you use to introduce the sippy cup?
I've given Ryan the sippy cup some and he can hold it but I don't think he knows there is anything tasty in there. I've taken the valve out a couple times and very carefully let him drink some. I'm not sure how often I should offer it to him. daily? twice a week?

4 comments:

Blanca said...

Hi! I found your blog through "Kelly's Korner" & I think it's great!

I introduced the sippy cup to my daughter at about 6 months, just to get her familier with it. She played with it and sometimes drank from it. The "straw" sippy cups were best for her because she could easily drink from it while sitting. She would use the other ones only laying down & that seemed pointless because it was the same way she used the bottle. At 12 months exactly it was bye bye bottle and hello to a full time big girl cup. Since she played with it before & was used to drinking from it the transition was so easy & fun.

Sorry for such a long comment.

Courtney Rogers said...

Hey Summer! Our doctor told us to go ahead with 3 meals at 6 mths (however he started us on baby food at 4 mths) it was a smooth transition. (I had more issues of reverting back to bottle more when she started the table food.)

As far as the sippy cup I agree with Blanca. Let him get used to it with water or juice (we were told don't put milk in it while he is still using the bottle because of confusion) We use the flavored water because she won't drink the plain water. You want him to get used to it before the 12 mth appt because we didn't have any idea he was going to tell us to throw the bottles out and only use sippy cup from that point on. Good Luck! Remember every child is different and you do what works best with him.

Lori said...

I love your new blog design! I think the sippy cup changes depending on if you nurse or not. I nursed Emma and even though she had bottles at times she could not get the hang of the sippy cup! I don't think she started drinking out of one well until she was close a little over one. It became a thing where the doctor just told me not to allow her to have a bottle and she caught on because she was thristy!

We started 3 meals a day at 6 months. At breakfast she had fruit and milk and then at lunch and dinner she had a fruit and a veggie.

But Ryan will let you know what he needs so just do what works best for you and him!

GOOD LUCK!!

Eric and Katherine Brown said...

We gave Ella 2 fruits for breakfast, 1 fruit and 1 veggie for lunch, and 2 veggies for dinner! We also introduced the sippy cup early, I think at around 7 months or so, and just put water in it. She played with it at first, but then realized she could drink out of it. WE didn't do it at a meal time, just at other times during the day...like mid morning or after her afternoon nap! Hope that helps some.....they are all different!