Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quality Time

The last few days I've been trying to be very intentional about spending quality time with Ryan. Even though I am huge and can barely move around I want to treasure and create fun memories of these last fews days of Ryan being an only child. I know he will not remember being an only child but I will. Ryan is going to be such a good big brother! I'm so excited he will have a brother to grow up with! I love it when people tell me "oh they will be thick as thieves" and "they will be so close" when they find out I'm having a boy!


We had a really rough day yesterday! We had Ryan's two year check up and I thought it would be fun to go to lunch afterwards. Ryan didn't think so! He was throwing food on the floor, spilling milk and was totally not interested in eating his lunch. It was one of those moments you feel that every eye in the place is on you and wondering why you can't control your child! I was almost in tears when I just packed it all up and we headed out the door. Thank the Lord he took a good nap once we got home and ate so well at dinner last night. He even asked for more pears!!! That's a biggie for him!

His two year appointment went great yesterday! He weighs 28lbs (in 45th percentile) and is 36 inches tall (80th percentile) and his head is in the 50th percentile. He is a tall and lean little boy. According to his height he will be 6 ft - same as his daddy - when he's an adult.

I talked to the doctor alot about his eating habits and speech. He said we are doing all the right things with food and to keep offering him the healthy foods and hopefully like most kids he will out grow his pickiness.

For a long time I've been worried about his speech. Matt and I have talked about it for so long and we decided we would wait until he was two before we talked about intervention. I was so proud to tell the pediatrician yesterday that Ryan is saying new words every day and his vocabulary is really growing. The only concern we have about a delay is he isn't saying phrases yet. All of his motor and physical skills are right on target. I know Ryan is so smart and I have full confidence he will be saying a huge list of words and phrases very soon!

1 comment:

kimmie said...

Hey Summer..i felt your pain on the barely getting around part...i felt like everything i did was such a chore before little Ryder was born!! Thank you for all your sweet comments!! We are so glad he is finally here and it is just an awesome feeling to have 2 little boys!!! It def takes some adjusting but we are all adjusting pretty fast considering its only been less than a week! I love reading your post b/c we are on such the same chapter of life exactly!!! I just wish i could stay at home full time but at least i get a couple days off during the week. I am not going back to work until after labor day so i am going to savor every minute!! I can't wait to hear about your delivery with Colton...hopefully it will come very soon for you...it is such a relief to have them here in your arms and have your body back!! I feel like i can get so much more done now!! Continue to enjoy every second with Ryan before C gets here!! Good luck and I'll be looking for the news!!!