Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

 
Did I mentioned that on Monday morning we went to the gym only to stay for thirty minutes before they called me to childcare because Colton was fussing and wouldn't stop crying?  They said he was fine as long as they held him but as soon as they put him down he would cry. Sadly we left the gym and came home.  I was so frustrated!  

On the way home I told the boys we were going for a run around the neighborhood in the stroller.  So for the first time ever I pushed the boys, ALL 70 pounds, in the stroller around the neighborhood.  Whew!!!  I was pretty slow but at least I finished my workout. 

Then we came home and rode bikes!

Last week I made these AMAZING Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars.  They were seriously SO good.  I wanted to eat the whole thing but I sent Matt to work the next day with half of them.  He said his co-workers were fighting over the last few crumbs.  I got the recipe from the blog "The Girl Who Ate Everything".  It's a great food blog and I can't wait to try more recipes.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
by The Girl Who Ate Everything (adapted from Paula Deen)

Ingredients:
Crust: 2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

Cheesecake Filling:
3 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Apples:
3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Streusel Topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1/2 cup caramel topping

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a medium bow, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in buyer with a pastry blender (or 2 forks) until mixture is crumbly.  Press evenly into a 9x13 baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil.  Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 3/4 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla.  Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. 

For the streusel topping:
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.  Sprinkle streusel topping over apples. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set.  Drizzle with caramel topping and let cool.  Serve cold and enjoy!  Makes 16 servings. 


1 comment:

Julie Rogers said...

Those look delicious!!! Thanks for sharing---and the only way I get workouts in is that double stroller (my boys were not the best in childcare either). The beauty of it is that you can get a short workout in a short amount of time, right---it's EXHAUSTING!

-Julie
http://www.thechirpingmoms.com