Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet w/ Bacon

  Thursday mornings I usually have MOPS and Ryan goes to preschool.  Since it was a rare fifth Thursday of the month we didn't have Mops so I went to Starbucks to hang out with some of my favorite friends.  Colton was great and started toddling around.  He walked right up to the lady sitting behind us (who looked a lot like my friend Laura) and hugged her leg and smiled so big (of course I was standing right beside him).  She picked him up and he snuggled her like he knew her.  I didn't know exactly what to do.  I didn't know if I should be embarrassed or flattered.  I totally think he thought she was my friend Laura and not a complete stranger, ha!  He loves Laura and always reaches out for her.  So funny but a little awkward!


It's been a weird day!  I picked up Ryan at school and when we came home he wanted to play outside.  Sure, why not.  I told him he could play while I made his lunch.  He played for about seven minutes and I started feeding Colton.  I glanced up and saw him with his pants ON THE GROUND!  I run outside and say "Ryan, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" He turns around and says "mommy, I had to go poop"!  And there was the evidence on the ground that he really had to go.  What in the world???  Keep in mind - he has NEVER seen anyone go potty outside nor have we ever talked about it!!!  I said "Ryan, why did you do that? Why didn't you go to the potty" and he said "well mommy, the doggies goes poop outside."  Oh my word!  I just had to laugh as he waddled into the house while I explained we only go poop INSIDE on the potty.  

So I found and made this recipe months ago.   I think I found it on Pinterest and I had to laugh when I saw the website is called "Picky Palate".  It was really good so I decided to make it last night.  It's not hard at all and it's even better warmed up!  I'm a leftover snob so it takes a lot for me to say that, ha!


Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon

Ingredients:
1/2 pound applewood smoked bacon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
4 cups steamed white rice
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions: Render bacon, drain and set aside.  Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.  Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Once melted whisk in flour, and pepper until smooth and bubbly.  Slowly whisk in chicken broth.  Increase heat to high whisking broth until thickened.  Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese.  Reduce heat to a simmer and set aside.

Place reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings back to skillet.  Stir in cooked rice.  Add chicken and cheese sauce, mixing to combine.  Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese then top with crumbled cooked bacon. Place under oven's broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Makes 4-6 servings.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Check out Ryan's face lol how presh! I have that same pumpkin Hallmark? lol! OK so that looks amazing and I am so gonna have to try it!

Starbucks yum have you tried their Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate they never have it listed but they have it lol it will rock your socks off amazing!

XOXO
Summer