Friday, November 20, 2009

Show Us Your Life: Pets

Today on Show Us Your Life over at KellysKorner it's all about PETS!

We have 2 sweet miniature dachshunds. Annabelle is our 4 1/2 year old chocolate and tan doxie. Soon after I moved to State College, PA in 2005 I saw an ad in the paper for 6 mini-doxies. I begged Matt to go with me to look at these puppies. I had just moved and getting a puppy should have been the last thing I should do but who can say no to those puppy faces.

We drove on a Sat. to "look" at these puppies and I fell in love! Annabelle was the first puppy I picked up and she wimpered as I pulled her away from her brothers and sisters. I knew right then I had to have her. She was only 2 weeks old. We put a deposit down on her and came back in 7 weeks to take her home!

She is the best dog and just so much fun. She has such a personality. She's definitely our first born and acts like it. She knows she in charge!

Who is who?
Annabelle is on the right and Mason (Annabelle's Dad) on the left. She's a daddy's girl for sure. (Annabelle's mom is a silver dapple)

In Nov. 2007 we moved into our new home. I thought Annabelle needed a playmate so I started looking at puppies online. I totally opened pandora's box. They are all so cute and I wanted all of them.

I knew I wanted a black and tan mini doxie. I found a breeder located in North Carolina and she had a litter of black and tan pups. I saw a pic of Gracie and knew she belonged in our family. It was a little more complicated getting Gracie than it was getting Annabelle.

I contacted the breeder and let her know we were interested in Gracie. We didn't want to drive to NC so the breeder flew her to Columbus, OH. So I arranged some work I could do in Columbus and I drove to pick her up (a 2 hour drive). I walked in the cargo pick-up room and could hear her crying. She was in a travel crate and I'm sure was scared to death. I put her in the back and started on our way home but the smell was enough to knock me over. I thought she had pooped in her cage but she hadn't. I had to ride with the window partly down (in the middle of Feb) b/c she smelled so bad. Poor girl! I got her home and cleaned her up and she just charmed her way into our lives. She will be 3 years old next week on Nov. 29.

I can't imagine life without them and even though they can drive me crazy. Now that Ryan has come into our lives they have taken a back seat but I know they will all be best buds one day.

No comments: