Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Traditions

 I thought today would be a fun day to share some of our favorite Christmas traditions.  We love Christmas around here and love creating new family traditions.  

One of my favorite traditions is each year I give the boys a hallmark ornament.  Last year Ryan's ornament was Santa flying an airplane and Colton a Mickey Mouse and Goofy ornament.  They boys love to look at all the ornaments on the tree.  They especially love the ones that light up and sing.  

Matt finishes up finals tomorrow and he will be off for almost four weeks!  We are so excited to spend some family time together.  I made a list of things I would like us to do as a family while he is off.  Of course we will go visit Santa at the mall.  I also want to take the boys to see the movie Frozen.  I heard such great reviews and think the boys will love it.  

Even though we do celebrate Santa in our house the boys know the real reason we celebrate Christmas is the birth of Jesus.  They really don't know much about Santa Claus.  We will always do the fun part of Christmas with Santa but we want the emphasis to be on Jesus.  We read the story of Jesus' birth every night before bed and the boys just love to hear about the shepherds and angels.  

The boys enjoy our elf on the shelf Chippie.  They love to come down in the morning and find Chippie.  We don't really talk about him going back to Santa and all that but it's just something fun for the boys.  Chippie has built with blocks, shoveled snow (marshmallow), brought fun winter window clings and left fun messages for the boys.  


One of my favorite new traditions we started this year is a Christmas card tree.  I love love love getting Christmas cards in the mail this time of year.  I love to see my friends and their families and catch up with them.  I wanted a fun way to display them and I'd seen people put them on Christmas trees and I thought that was genius and SO fun.  I found a discounted tree at Hobby Lobby and knew it would be perfect for my Christmas cards.  I LOVE it!   

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I take my niece and nephew to breakfast with Santa, we go to see a light display and we ride around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights while drinking hot chocolate.